Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I got the "DOMS"

Delayed
Onset
Muscle
Soreness

Ouch, I am suffering from the DOMS! Since we were in Chicago, enjoying the sights...

Kids on top of the Willis Tower (formerly known as the Sears Tower) 
and did not have access to all of the wonderful equipment in our local home gym, I thought I would mixed it up a bit, here, in the local Sports Club. Boy did I give my legs a nice little work out. With 10lbs. dumbells in each hand, I performed the following routine:
  • 8 front lunges, 
  • 8 gobblet squats/pseudo side lunges.
  • 8 back lunges, 
  • Change leg 
  • Repeat four times
  • Follow-up with four sets of a Parisi Speed School Plyometric (A Football Combine) Leg routine.
And now, two days later - I am suffering from the DOMS. So, why did I do it? I weight train to:
  • Increase bone mass
  • Improve my running economy.

Power = Force (strength) X Speed. Running economy is the rate at which your body can produce power - so if I have the leg strength, I can create power - then, each foot strike will feel like less of an effort! Yeay!

According to the NSCA, weight training at a high intensity with few reps combined with plyometrics helps improve neural muscular adaptations. These neural adaptations allow your body to be able to recruit muscles at a faster rate. 

Now, that I have strength and speed, I got the POWER! ... And this all translates into a better running economy - but for now, The DOMS!

Train Smart Today!
Post a Comment