Monday, August 15, 2011

Rainy Monday

Nooo. Not two rainy days back to back. . . .


I like the Weather Channel much better than I like NOAA. It seems weather.com forecasts are always just a little sunnier, cheerful - optimistic! So, I always believe when they show that it is going to clear up. Today, the Weather Channel said that it was not going to rain today, until 11AM. - so I believed them! I get really upset if I can't get my runs in as planned. It's the whole sanity thing.

So when it was raining at 7, 8 and 9AM - I thought I would lose it - I did not want to run my long run on the treadmill. Well, 10AM and three loads of laundry completed, I had to start my long run - yup, on the treadmill. As luck would have it, it stopped raining after I finished 3 miles, so, I strapped on my Garmin and took off for 7 more miles. Even though it was drizzling here and there, it was a nice little run and overall, I put in 11.26 miles.

Strength & conditioning today consisted of legs and shoulders. Since I have been doing the power cleans, I like working in some shoulder by doing upright rows, shoulder press and front raises. I had a professor that really stressed protracting your shoulder when working the deltoids. Since I have been concentrating on this when training my deltoids, I rarely get that stiff neck feeling or aches in my upper back after running 13+ miles.

My favorite exercise today, though, goes to the Glute Machine:
Strengthening glutes, hamstrings and hip flexors - it's all good for that extra kick in those last few miles or for a good strong sprint.

I had to cut my workout short to take the kiddies to the cardiologist. Due to the recent increase in high school athlete deaths from undetected heart problems, the kid's pediatrician (and now some high schools) want all student athletes to get baseline EKG tests. One cool fact that I learned while talking to the cardiologist about replenishing body salts (especially after working out in the heat and sweating) was that 1/4 cup of raisins yields 9% of your RDA of potassium!

Cute, convenient and transportable!

Train Smart Today!

Post a Comment