Thursday, September 8, 2011

Yesterday = Workout/Today = The View!

Today, I did not work out. I was supposed to run 5 miles, but I just could not squeeze it in. I got the kids off to their second day of school - it's not as cute and adorable when your kids are off to their first days of high school versus when they are off to their first day of 1st, 2nd or even 5th grade ...
I tried to take my daughter's pic and she was like, 
"Get that *** i-pad away from me - don't I have a little brother you can torture with that thing?"
Girlfriend trying to avoid me on her 1st ay of school. 
Then, I got ready for The View.


Yup, that's right - today, I drove into the city with my sister, my sister-in-law and my niece to watch a special episode of The View. The taping was at ABC's studio on 66th street - it was supposed to start at 11:45, but did not start until 1:30. My goal was to run at 4PM, when I came home. I did't even come home until 5:30 - and when I got there - I was greeted by two very hungry teens! So, I started to cook dinner, right away. By the time I was done, I had to write some very important e-mails and catch up on the day.

Anyway - it's 10:30PM and I did not get my 5miles in today! I feel simply awful.

But yesterday... I had a great work out at the gym:
Warm Up
Five minutes on the rower. Did you know that if you put your feet on the floor when rowing, you target more of your abs and core? Try it, you will definitely feel your core working!

Back (Lats, Spinus Erectus and Rhomboids):
Seated Rows:
Put your feet on the ground to target your core.
Next, two more sets to build strength. Since all my endurance training is completed when I run, why should I weight train light and 12-15reps of resistance exercise? I go to the gym to train type II glycolytic muscle fibers  - for strength and power. Re: Strength X Power = Speed. I run 25-30 miles a week to build endurance.
Lat Pull Downs:
I love the Lat Pull Down machine. I usually watch how long it takes me to finish a set, then I multiply that time by two and use that as my recovery time.
Upright Rows:
For the last few months, I've used the Smith Machine to do Upright Rows. It's very challenging for me - I start out with just the bar! Thank God they make those tiny 2 1/2lbs plates! They are so cute!
Stability Ball:
I like to lay on my stomach on the stability ball and do hyper-extensions to work my core and lower lumbar. I mixed in 1 1/2 minute planks for a total core workout.
Planks on Stability Ball

Hyper-Extensions on a Stability Ball

Core
Here is where I contradict my earlier statement about volume and reps. Although the number of reps varies based on the type of core exercise, I tend to do lots of reps. when I train my core.

Lower Body (Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes and Lower Lumbar)
I only get one leg workout a week, so I always want to make it a happening experience. Yesterday, I combined power cleans and dead lifts with plyometrics
Dead Lifts
Did you know that you are only suppose to increase the weight by 5% per set when training your upper body, but you can increase the weights for lower body by 10% for each set? Today, I really felt these dead lifts in my lower back and glutes!
Mixed in some plyometrics: 100 per leg: Ankling.
Power Cleans: Topped off that glute & hamstring workout!
Plyometrics mixed in with Power Cleans: But kicks.
After this, my legs and glutes were on fire!

Biceps:
No, I will never have the Popeye-like Bi's.


Yeah, maybe that's a good thing! Okay this is where I struggle - are bi's really going to help me run better? Noooo. Did you ever see bi's on Apollo Ohno?

Apolo Ohno
God, he is just too cute!
But remember Madonna?

Madonna
She transformed her bi's (& arms) into some kind of wonderful - and they looked great! So, every time I think of skipping bi's, I talk myself into getting the dumbells and curling!

Dumbell Curls:Key to Madonna-like arms!

"Wow, that workout, yesterday, was a great !" Focussing on what I did yesterday really helped me to stop beating myself up over the fact that I didn't get in my run today. It's a good tool to ...

Train Smart Today!


Post a Comment