Friday, September 2, 2011

Food Facts Friday

Did you know that heart disease is still the leading cause of death in the USA?

(Breast cancer is the leading cause of CANCER deaths in women ages 20-59, but heart disease is still the leading cause of death in women)

Did you also know that nuts can promote a healthy heart and help lower cholesterol?

I thought these little food facts were fascinating:
  • People who eat nuts more than 5 times a week, have 50% less heart disease!
  • Nuts provide phytochemicals that reduce inflammation.
  • Consuming about 2oz. of nuts per day can reduce blood cholesterol by 8%.
  • Nuts contain compounds (like selenium and vitamin E) that have been linked to lower colorectal and prostate cancers.
  • Nuts provide components (like magnesium, fiber, alpha-linolenic acid and L-arginine) that help fight insulin resistance.
  • 1/4C of Pistachios, in place of a refined carbohydrate snack, has been shown to lower triglyceride blood levels.
Here is a little nut snack that I like to make. I keep it in a bowl on my countertop, so when hunger strikes - I have something handy to pick on. It's healthy, but more importantly, it keeps me from eating a refined flour snack: 
1/2C Salted Almonds
1/2C Organic Dried Dates
1/4C Roasted Edamame Beans (No Salt)
1/4C Chick Peas (No Salt)

Half-Crazed Runner Nut Concoction 
Experiment by changing the type of nut or fruit - when I can find it in the store, I like to add in dried organic papaya. 

This little snack packs fiber, protein, and is low in fat. It also satisfies my salty, sweet and crunchy urges without the guilt. I hope it does the same for you!

Train Smart Today!
Post a Comment