(Breast cancer is the leading cause of CANCER deaths in women ages 20-59, but heart disease is still the leading cause of death in women)
Did you also know that nuts can promote a healthy heart and help lower cholesterol?
I thought these little food facts were fascinating:
- People who eat nuts more than 5 times a week, have 50% less heart disease!
- Nuts provide phytochemicals that reduce inflammation.
- Consuming about 2oz. of nuts per day can reduce blood cholesterol by 8%.
- Nuts contain compounds (like selenium and vitamin E) that have been linked to lower colorectal and prostate cancers.
- Nuts provide components (like magnesium, fiber, alpha-linolenic acid and L-arginine) that help fight insulin resistance.
- 1/4C of Pistachios, in place of a refined carbohydrate snack, has been shown to lower triglyceride blood levels.
Here is a little nut snack that I like to make. I keep it in a bowl on my countertop, so when hunger strikes - I have something handy to pick on. It's healthy, but more importantly, it keeps me from eating a refined flour snack:
1/2C Salted Almonds
1/2C Organic Dried Dates
1/4C Roasted Edamame Beans (No Salt)
1/4C Chick Peas (No Salt)
|Half-Crazed Runner Nut Concoction|
Experiment by changing the type of nut or fruit - when I can find it in the store, I like to add in dried organic papaya.
This little snack packs fiber, protein, and is low in fat. It also satisfies my salty, sweet and crunchy urges without the guilt. I hope it does the same for you!
Train Smart Today!