Thursday, September 1, 2011

Marilyn for a Day at the Track!

Have you ever had one of those workouts that go the way you wish every workout could go? Well, that's how my workout went today! It always seems that when I make a plan before and after my workout, the actual workout goes better. It makes you feel like a million bucks - or like Marilyn ...
Marilyn Monroe Statue in Pioneer Court, Chicago, Illinois
The Marilyn Monroe statue was super impressive at 26' tall - lace panties and all! Go see it if you can - it's there until Spring 2012.

So, how did I get to feel like "Marilyn" in the Seven Year Itch? It was all part of my plan! LOL!

Last night, before I went to bed, I set the alarm, planned my outfit - sorry, no lace panties - planned my breakfast, my travel time to and from the track - my warm-up, cool-down and even the time I wanted to get home by!

And today, I actually got up, dressed, ate breakfast, put on my Garmin watch ...

Of course I had to visited The Garmin Store while in Chicago! Think I'm frontin'?
....and heart rate monitor, my RoadID, sneakers and drove to the park. And I was ON TIME! This is really hard for me to do because I am never on time for anything. I am so bad that my step-father used to tell me that I was going to be late for my own funeral!!! YIKES!

My Workout:
  • 2 mile warm-up @ an easy pace = 60% of my heart rate reserve.
  • Six 100m sprints. I actually broke 19' 4 out of 6 of those sprints - a first for me. Woo-Hoo!
  • Four 300m with a 100m jog in between each. Goal Pace: 1:15' per 300m.
  • Jog 100m, sprint 1/4mile up a hill at 7:20'mile pace, Jog 200m.
  • Repeat hill run three times.
  • Repeat Four 300m with a 100m jog in between each. Goal Pace: 1:15' per 300m.
  • 1 mile cool down @ an easy pace = 60% of my heart rate reserve.
  • Stretch.
I was home by 10AM to finish my yard work, shower and get ready for the day.

Today was crazy, too - I have to get in as many errands as possible each day, from now to September 6th, because I am going to school full-time this Fall. I realized though, throughout the day, that if I didn't plan my track workout today - and every little moment leading up to my workout and every little moment after my workout, I would never have gotten to feel like Marilyn for the Day!

Planning workouts are key! It reminded me of something I read once on (drum roll please):
Exercise Adherence
**One reason people regularly drop out of their exercise program is due to poor planning**

Planning should include: 
  • Setting aside the correct amount of time for a workout.
  • Setting aside a specific of time of day.
  • Choosing to exercise in a convenient location (i.e., It's just never going to happen if I plan to do crunches, after dinner, in front of the TV).
I hope this helps you too ...
Train Smart Today!
Post a Comment