Monday, September 12, 2011

Sixteen miles!

I ran 16 miles today. I actually amazed myself! Coach said it would help me get ready for the half I planned to run in Connecticut in a couple of weeks. I guess that is why he went E-Z on me last Thursday!

Actually it felt good to run, today. After spending Saturday and yesterday in NYC, it was cathartic to run, and pray, and run!

Kids by their Dad's Name at the WTC Memorial 9/11/2011


Still, I have to admit, I didn't know if I could do it. I wanted to and I wanted to prove to myself (and Coach) that I could, but there was a part of me that said, "What if my legs quit?" When I started the run, I thought to break up the run into four sets, each set would be four miles. It helped to know, when I completed the second set, 8 miles altogether, I just had two more sets left - instead of 8 more miles. It's a lot like life - sometimes, you just have to take it day by day - and sometimes even that is too much - then you need to take it in 1-5minute intervals at a time! I've been known to set a timer!


After today's long run, I made myself an Endurox R4 recovery drink and sat with ice on my knees! The Endurox R4 recovery drink is specifically formulated for endurance runners because it has a 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio, antioxidants & electrolytes. I really needed those electrolytes because my stomach took all that stress - and kicked the Crohn's up a notch or two or three! 
Fruit Punch Flavor is Yummy
The Endurox R4 Recovery drink, Gatorade 2 (took 20 ounces: 1/2 water & 1/2 Gatorade 2 Series for the run) and GU Energy Gels (had one at about mile 10) really saved me this past August - It was the first August, in years, that I did not wake up with charley horses in my calves! Yeay!

Well classes are well in progress! Today I started Quantity of Food Purchasing. The Professor was funny  - with a straight face, he told us that English was his second language - and then he proceeded to tell us he was born in The Bronx! LOL! Yeah - it doesn't take much to get me to laugh!

Tomorrow, I have Food & Society and Advanced Nutrition! I hope I learn a lot this semester so I can....
Train Smart Today!






Post a Comment