Friday, October 28, 2011

Food Facts Friday: What do you eat when you work out?

This week I kept stumbling across articles on 'what to eat when you work out?'

One of the articles I stumbled across was by Nancy Clark ...aaaah my sports nutrition idol...
But I digress!
Nancy Clark's blogpost presented a great little guide that gives some ideas on what to eat, while training or competing, depending on the length of your workout:

For example, if you are exercising less than 45-60 minutes, Nancy says that there is no need to eat during your workout, just consider a pre-exercise meal or snack, such as oatmeal or a banana. I like my "runner's toast": some whole wheat bread with a smear of peanut butter. Together, the whole wheat and the peanut butter make a complete protein!
Yummy!
If you are exercising less than 1-2hours, Nancy says that you should consume about 30-60grams of carbohydrates per hour. That is about 120-240 calories per hour. She suggests sports drinks, gummies (Im thinking Clif Shot Bloks), gels, dried pineapple or banana.

This week, I came across a great way to make a homemade "gu" or "gel":
7&1/3 TBS Honey
3/4tsp Molasses
1/10 tsp Iodized Salt.

I think I'll try to make some tomorrow. I'm going to use organic honey and molasses. It sounds promising: the honey is full of antioxidants and the molasses is a great source of Iron and Calcium. I may even plug the ingredients into the SELF Nutrition Data Site to get the total nutritional profile! If I do, I will definitely post the nutrition info!

Last of all, Nancy recommends that if you are exercising for more than 2.5hours, you should consume 60-90grams of carbohydrate per hour. This is about 240-360calories per hour. She suggests fruit, chocolate bars, cookies, sports drinks, candies and gels, peanut butter and honey, beef jerky, granola bars, chicken broth and cheese sticks.

Okay, so I don't like all of her suggestions, but some of them, I never even thought of, like chicken broth. Today, it was very cold on the track and if I include my warm-up and cool-down, I was out there for almost 2&1/2 hours! It would have been nice to have sipped on some broth. And this week, I stumbled on Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth!
Mmm, mmm good!
Nancy Clark's blog has some great posts. I am not always hungry when I am doing a long run or running a half marathon, but I know my muscles need the carbohydrates. Knowing how, what and when to feed our muscles will help us to stay healthy, avoid injury and
TRAIN SMART TODAY!





Post a Comment