Thursday, October 20, 2011

In the Spirit of Running

It was just by chance I stumbled across that piece of paper in my drawer this morning. It's my anniversary - I would have been married 21years. I was looking through my drawer - where I keep old cards and stuff - I just wanted to find some card that would show me his chicken scratch handwriting with words that read:
"I love you, tons." 

Instead, I found that piece of paper: 'Isaiah 55:8&9'. Okay, maybe I am supposed to read it -  it's got a 5 & a 9 in there and after all, my late husband was born in 1959. Maybe I will find some answer - something I can pull strength on to get through the next week: 2 papers, 2exams, laundry, rushed dinners, wilting summer flowers in a window box dying to be retired - you know that list - it always just goes on and on. So, I read:

8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. 
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways    and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Okay, that was nice. I thought, "Now what? This isn't what I thought I would read, but okay. Agh, c'mon - it was just a slip of paper - focus girl, you still have to make lunches, get the kids to school and write a paper that is due ...today!"

PANIC, PANIC, PANIC!

I knew if I were to maintain whatever sanity I have left - I needed to sneak in a run. Afterall, it rained all day yesterday and I spent 15hours working on a paper  - and that was not the paper that was due today - I still haft do that one!

I got the kids off to school and ran - and ran, and ran, and ran. It was glorious - a breezy day, 64*, NO HUMIDITY! My favorite running weather!

I was happy - running, praying, thanking God for all my blessings. Then, I heard Josh Groban on my iPad with his beautiful voice singing, "You Raise Me Up". I played it three, 3, yes, three, times! I felt God's peace take over my stressed out body - It was a good run!
My mind wandered - I couldn't help but wonder if Ryan Hall listens to this song when he runs. I was so curious that when I came home, I did a Google search: 'Ryan Hall and his faith'. This is what I read from a Running Times article, "Ryan Hall: The Faith Interview":
WOW! IDK, 55:9 - the same verse I read this morning ...a little freaky! I needed to read on...

There are some things that Ryan said in this interview
that really hit home with me:
  1. God can do something miraculous through me - Yeay, there is still hope for me!
  2. God has always provided enough strength for me to do what He wants me to do. AMEN!
  3. It is easy to feel God's presence when He is taking us to new levels, but it took me years to feel God's presence when I was struggling or having an ordinary day. Ech, ain't that the truth!
These statements really found a home in my heart. And if you think about why they hold so much power and truth - the answer can be found simply stated in Isaiah 55:8&9: because
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”
“As the heavens are higher than the earth, 
so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.



I love that I found that piece of paper this morning - I really needed some inspiration today. I think I need to meditate on these verses because I just don't know how I am going to get through all I need to do this semester without some divine intervention!

I also love how Ryan Hall feels that his ministry is his running - what an inspirational Christian. He has even decided to lean on his faith to guide him, and has recently parted with his longtime coach.
Wow! For me, that would truly be a leap of faith!

Yeah, I think I'll stick with my coach! I'm not in that elite athlete category. I think I will allow God to use my Coach to help guide me to ...
Train Smart Today!
Post a Comment