Thursday, October 27, 2011

Self-Management

Norman Rockwell 1933
Everyday it's the same speech, said in a different way to motivate these little pains in the, I mean my lovely children:
  • Try to make honor roll. C'mon it's public education - not some fancy private boarding school!
  • Plan to run, lift, study at specific times of the day. If they have time to spend on Facebook and U-tube, they got the time to pound out a couple of miles, pump some iron or finish that homework!
  • Maintain your desktop calendar and schedule your activities, homework, tests, etc. Post a  "To-Do List". They begged me for the fancy Apple laptops, heck put those i-Cals to work!
  • And if you screw up ...it's okay. Just figure out why and what can you do to go forward and how you can avoid that negative situation in the future? Don't put yourself down. Stay positive!
It's funny, but this is the same speech that I gave myself, today! 

See, I had every intention to run 5-6 miles, then: 
  • It started raining - cats and dogs! Really! So, fine, I'll run on the treadmill before my class. But then ...I lost power! 
  • I still had to go to class, food shop and cook dinner. New Plan: I would run when I got home from class, while dinner was cooking! ...if we had power.
  • Yes, my power is back! But after spending 5hours at school pumping out FoodWorks Labs (does anyone know what these are? and if so, please commiserate with me!) I am too tired to run 5miles. I tried to at least squeez out 3!
  • Next time it's raining, I may need to go to the treadmill at the gym. I don't know why, but the treadmills at the gym are not as boring. I guess people watching is a good distraction! At least I got 3 little miles in!

Self-management is one of the most important pieces of a successful exercise program. Still, crazy schedules, weather, family and work responsibilities can throw us off. The best way to stay on track is to:
  • Set some goals - not crazy one' s, but those that are in reach, so you don't get discouraged.
  • Set a schedule: Plan your activities. Studies show that if you set a specific time aside each day for exercise, you will be more successful in your exercise program!
  • Monitor yourself: Are you reaching your goals? If not, maybe you need some help? A little coaching, a friend to work out with? Use your calendar to keep track of your goals and your schedule.
  • Identify and overcome setbacks: Figure out what's holding you back and brainstorm to rise above it. Plan to avoid future setbacks. And remember don't put yourself down! Stay positive and
TRAIN SMART TODAY!



Post a Comment