Friday, November 4, 2011

Fighting Inflammation: Food Facts Friday

The little local park I LOVE to run in
I have a special 5mile route through a local park - it is especially beautiful this time of year. I have been running through this park near my home for as long as I can remember. I LOVE this little park - there are 1, 3/4, and 1&3/4mile loops that are quiet and wooded with little paths. I like the paved paths - I have had a couple of eye surgeries and so I cannot see the definition in an unpaved surface.  I also did not see that branch hidden under some leaves in the park this past Wednesday!

More downed branches ;(
As you can see from the pictures, there were tree branches everywhere. Last Saturday we had a heavy, wet snow, while the leaves were still on the trees. This was a recipe for disaster, downed branches, trees and power lines! Even my beautiful Dawn Redwood Tree succumbed to the snow - and this is one of the strongest trees - descendants of the great Sequoia, survivors from the dinosaur ages!
My beloved Dawn Redwood!
So, darn it, my ankle rolled right over that branch and boy oh, boy, did it hurt. The 1st 24hours were the worst. I kept the snow on it, 10-15minutes on, 10-15minutes off. But what do you eat to help reduce inflammation?
When you don't have heat, it's really hard to stick your foot
in a bucket of snow (no ice without power)
 Thank goodness for my gas fireplace!
It's interesting, the foods recommended for inflammation are foods most often seen in a dietetic's meal plan for people with coronary artery disease, artherosclerosis and diabetes. I am listing some of them here, with a little homeopathic spin:

Omega-3 oil: Salmon, Albacore Tuna, Walnuts, Flax seed and olive oil
Vitamin E: Sunflower seed, almonds & olives
Vitamin C: Broccoli, Oranges, Orange Juice
Phenolics: Tart Cherry Juice
Bromelein: Pineapple
ECGC: Green Tea
Caretenoids: Spinach, carrots
Quercitin: Onions, Garlic & apples
Curcumin: Tumeric & Ginger

I like the Organic Tart Cherry Juice from Whole Foods. I am not a juice fan, but I have been drinking little shot glasses of this juice to help fight the inflammation. Go phenolics!
365 Organic Tart Cherry Juice
I also take Physiologics Cartilage Companion for the Vitamin E & Omega oils, besides the glucosamine & chondroitin.
Physiologics!
I am a big proponent of getting what you need through your food: 
"Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food" Hippocrates (Father of Medicine)
It makes sense, you have a better chance of absorbing 100% of the nutrients from your food vs. supplements. Nutrient absorption from supplements and ergogenic aids is limited to about 40%.
Well, here goes another shot of that Tart Cherry Juice!
Hopefully my foot & ankle will hold up for my half-marathon in Florida this Sunday!
TRAIN SMART TODAY!



Post a Comment