Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Whey to Pre-Workout Nutrition!

Pre-Workout Nutrition
Okay, so this is a follow-up to Friday's post regarding a pre-workout food/meal/drink to maintain muscle mass and strength. I think I found a solution. 

Running is catabolic and it constantly tears down muscles, so I go to the gym at 5:30AM to strength train and stretch to prevent injuries. Strength training also tears down muscle - it's when the muscle rebuilds that it gets stronger. All this tearing down - I knew my cracker and coffee pre-workout meal was not adequate ...
change was imminent!

My research led me to whey and soy. Not just one or the other, but both - they should be consumed together about 10-15grams of each.

I thought about the chocolate milk for the whey protein, and I even tried itI Then, I wound up in the bathroom, in pain, suffering!
Chocolate Milk is OUT!


So, after lots of research and way-overthinking this, I purchased Energy First ProEnergy Whey Powder and a NuGo Organic Energy Bar. 
Energy First ProEnergy
I really like that the whey isolate in the Energy First ProEnergy Whey Powder is from cows not treated with rBGH (growth hormone). It is also cold-processed to preserve the protein and sweetened with a natural herb, Stevia. I had to rule out so many of the whey powders because they are made with sugar alcohols, which upset my stomach worse than the chocolate milk!

As for my soy source, I bought some NuGo bars. I wasn't crazy about the 190calories, but I was really happy about the organic soy, which will provide me with the 10grams of soy protein I wanted.
NuGo Organic Soy 
I chose the NuGo bar over a soy powder supplement because sometimes soy can  be hard for me to digest, even though it is relatively an easily digestible protein. I also considered that we absorb about 70% of the macronutrients, vitamins and minerals that come in supplement form and since we absorb nutrients better when they come packaged as food, it made sense, for me, to get the soy in this bar form.

So, 30minutes before my morning NYSports Club workout routine, I am going to sit down and eat my curds, excuse me, I mean my Soy and Whey!
Get it Right Muffet -
It's Soy & Whey! 
TRAIN SMART TODAY!



Post a Comment