Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wednesday at the track: You whistle, I run

It was about 20 degrees cooler this morning than it was this past Sunday! I decided to stick to my plan from last Wednesday and run my warm-up and cool-down on the grass and dirt trails that run along the paved path throughout the little park I train in on Wednesdays. This slowed me down and allowed me to focus on my breathing. I just wanted to relax before training my fast twitch muscle fibers - I was so uptight last week at the track.
Such a great little park!
After my 2mile warm-up, Coach only assigned me 4strides. He always goes a little easy on me after a race (Thanks Coach!). I felt strong today. It showed in my 100meter strides, too. I broke 20 seconds a few times.

Then, Coach told me that I was going to run 2minutes 30seconds, walk for 20seconds, run 2minutes 20seconds, walk 20 seconds, run 2minutes 10seconds ...so on and so forth down to 20seconds. I had to run a 7minute pace, but I averaged about a 6:40pace.

So, when I started to feel like I was gasping for air, I would look at my Garmin to see how many seconds I had left, but for the most part, the only way I knew to stop running was by Coach's whistle. And after the 20second walk-breaks (which were heavenly I might add), the only way I knew to start running again was by Coach's whistle and a scream, "Go, Go, Goooo!"

I was like a dog, waiting to hear a whistle to know when I should start running or when I should heal. It was actually pretty hysterical!
Go, go, gooooo!

So, on any other day, if someone told me I look like a dog, I'd be pretty miffed, but today, I'd just and agree with them and laugh ...or bark!

TRAIN SMART TODAY!
Post a Comment