Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wednesday at the track: Gotta love these balls!

Wow, what a crazy last couple of weeks - lots of papers, projects, power points, presentations, exams, finals and volunteer work! My desk and dining room table are in ruins! There are papers piled all over the place in my final efforts to cram everything I've learned this past semester into my brain, in some kind of nice orderly, retrievable fashion.
Crazy!
Even through the craziness and this weird butt-hammy inflammation/pain thing-a-ma-jiggy, I made it through last week's 25miles.
Not bad, all things considered!
And today on the track, I was able to produce a little power to get down to a 6:40min mile pace!
YES! Striving to be at least as strong as last year!
Today's work out didn't start out so great. First, I warmed up with 2miles in the pouring rain. These were slow - around a 9min mile pace. After, I broke into four slow strides, too. Coach only gave me four today, due to the pain. Next, he gave me a ladder work out. I had to run 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 800 and 400. They started at 1:40' for the first 400m interval and went up to 7:00' for the 1600interval. The best part ...the 400meter recovery jog!
Aaaah!

After the 1200meters, I told Coach the curve on the track was too much for my left side. I had to switch it up - I ran the rest of the work out running the opposite direction. It felt so much better, plus it stopped raining. My left side was so grateful it didn't have to keep taking all the pounding going around the curve of the track. I actually started to feel my speed pick up!

After the track work out, I ran a 1mile cool down and got my "homework" for the week. Coach is so cute, he's coached kids for years (and still does), so when he writes down a training schedule for the week (on scraps of paper), he gives it to you and says, "Okay, here's your homework."

It's this little piece of paper made of awesomeness 
and worth more than its weight in gold!
My Homework!
He also gave me a tennis ball and told me to sit on it when I'm in the car, working on my computer, reading or watching TV. Okay, I thought, anything for some relief ...what the heck, I'll give it a whirl!

As I hobbled to my car, I realized, "Ouch, I'm pretty freakin' sore!"  And when I got in, I shoved that tennis ball under the top of my left hammy!
What do you know, I felt relief! 
Really!
The weird thing about this pain is that I can't really put my finger on it, it's just a generalized butt/hammy area pain. But as soon as I sat on that tennis ball, I felt I could massage and stretch out where the pain was, sort of. It's hard to explain.

Anyway, now, writing this, I have a tennis ball under my left hammy and a golf ball under my left foot (the old plantar fasciitis).

I just love these balls!
My golf & tennis balls, that is!
 .... Geeze, Louise,

TRAIN SMART TODAY!
Post a Comment