Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wednesday at the track: Tidbits of Wisdom

Ouch! I was doing okay until this morning's track work. I've been healing and I thought I had this butt/hammy thing under control. After this morning's work out, though, I feel like I'm back to square one. Right now, I'm sitting on a bag of ice!
Hey, Lindsay must have a sore hammy too!
I pushed hard today - I even got down to 19 seconds on two out of the six 100's, after my mile warm-up!

And after that, I thought the work out would be easy. Coach told me to run 8 laps (2miles or 3.2km) at a 7:20pace, jog 2 laps recovery, run 6 laps (1.5miles or 2.4km) at the same pace with another 2 lap recovery jog.  In fact I said, "That's easy!"
Coach: "Mmmm ...that's a lot of running!"

 '....this should be a cinch!'
Eating humble pie is never easy. When I was done with that work out, I looked at Coach and told him, "You were right. That was a lot of running!"
Ouch! 
Now I'm here, acting like Walt Disney!
I ran about 2 cool down miles and stretched for about 30minutes, holding each stretch for at least 30seconds.

The track was crowded today. I guess it's bikini season, either that or America's conscious is waking up after watching The Weight of The Nation. I hope so! Two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese! American children, they don't stand a chance - about 18% are obese! This number is up from 5% in the 1970's! Almost all of these obese children will become obese adults. This current young generation is the first generation who will probably not live as long as their parents. It's very sad.

In the crowd of people today, one of my favorite persons was there: Warrior Woman! She was so complimentary, again - and really, she's the real deal! I bumped into her at the grocery store about 2 weeks ago. She was full of energy - I can't capture her personality with words - she's spunky, upbeat ...strong. When she talks, she is animated and her words sort of get propelled forward. She told me that she wasn't feeling that great. If she didn't say, I would never have known - she is very intense and purposeful in her speaking. She is also full of little 'one-liners' - plain, simple, sensible little tid-bits of wisdom. After telling me that she wasn't feeling that great, she paused, took a deep breath, looked me straight in the eyes and said,
"You know what I can't stand ... people who are healthy and don't work out. 
I drag my butt to the track to work out, even when I don't feel good."

She's right!
It's just that simple.
You can't say it any better! 
People will complain, blame and/or succumb regarding their health woes, weight or certain physical attributes, but they don't do anything about it!

Today, Warrior Woman was telling me that they found a growth on her cheek. A small Band-Aid was protecting the area where they biopsied her skin and drilled into her cheek bone for a sample. 
She is waiting, hoping and praying, it's not cancer. 
I am too.

There she was, living to her own standards: working out at the track, even when she wasn't feeling up to it, because, as she said, "I gotta work out, especially when I don't feel good ....so that I can feel good!"
She's right!
It's just that simple.
You can't say it any better!

TRAIN SMART TODAY!



Post a Comment