Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ech. I hate running!

I run about 30-33 miles per week.
That's about all I can squeeze in for now.
I dream of running and training for a marathon one day, but for now I'm just training for my next half, going to school and working to become a Registered Dietitian.
When I tell people I'm trying to run a half marathon in every state, I either get, "Wow, that's so cool. How many states have you done? How do you train for that." And sometimes I even get, "What do you eat?"
More often than not I get:
 "Ech. I hate running."
Whenever someone responds that way, I feel a slight tinge of hurt. It's almost as if they've told me directly that they don't like me. Running has been a part of my life since I was 17.5 years old. Over the years, when people have asked me how I stay in shape. It's no secret - I run. If they told me they play tennis - I wouldn't say, "Oh, I hate playing tennis." So why do people feel it's okay to tell me they hate running? When I was younger, it used to really irk me, but now that I'm older I usually take a deep breath, smile, and say:
"That's okay.
Running isn't for everyone. 
What do you like to do?"
Now, I just try to suppress my anxieties when I hear them say, 
"I don't do anything." 
Which is the purpose of my post.
"It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."
 ~ Sydney Smith
Everyday I see people in the hospital with depression, obesity, heart disease, and cancer. There are some main contributors to this in the United States:
Smoking, 
which is the most preventable cause of death in the USA. 
Inactivity
which is the second most preventable cause of death in the USA, 
leading to our overweight and obesity epidemic.
About 75% of Americans are overweight and obese
So, you don't like running? That's okay ....
but dooooooo something. 
PLEEEEEEASE!
Listen to your body. Listen to what it likes to do, and
Just freakin' Do Something!
Harvard Health even has a list of things you can do to burn calories in 30 minutes. There are hundreds of ways to stay active. I usually find myself rattling back things from this list. 
The next rebuttal I hear is: 
"I don't have time." 
These are usually the same people that tell me what TV shows they like to watch each night! You gotta make the time! The ACSM recommends 150 minutes per week of physical activity. That's only 30 minutes every weekday - just 21 little minutes a day. It could mean just waking up 25 minutes earlier each day! 
This past week, I heard about this guy at work. 
He has two full-time jobs - grant it he doesn't have small kids. He works 5am - 1pm. Goes to the gym. Works out. Showers, and then goes to his second full-time job, from 3pm - 11pm. Wow! Now that's dedication! That's inspiration!
The next excuse I hear is: "I can't run. I have bad knees."
First, I look at the person. If they are 50-100 pounds overweight, I often wonder if their knees would be so bad if they weighed less. It's a catch 22. The bottom line, if you have a physical or medical ailment, ask your doctor what physical activity he/she would recommended. 
Funny....
I see plenty of people who have gotten the "big scare" and are actively participating in hospital cardiac rehab centers.
But my question, 
"Why wait until you have a heart attack?
What if you aren't as lucky, and you don't survive your heart attack?"
Then, I think of people that inspire me, like Warrior Woman and another woman I have had the honor to train alongside of, Rebecca. Rebecca was hit by a car two years ago. The car broke her hip. She had major surgery. After the surgery, they told her she would have problems walking, and she would probably never be able to run. Rebecca just completed her first Marathon in 3 hours and 30 minutes! She was determined! She wasn't going to let her accident stop her. 
But she was smart. 
She started slow:
She trained and built up her strength and endurance, gradually. 
She stayed focussed 
and eventually met her goals.
So, set some physical activity goals. Of course, check with your doctor if you have physical or medical problems. You don't have to like running! Find something you like and start small. Life unfolds, maybe it will take awhile to reach your goals. Rebecca didn't get out there and run a marathon right away - it took her two years. She started small, with that 1st mile, but she stayed focussed, and was consistent.
Give yourself freedom to change your goals,
 especially if the ones you set no longer work for you!
Do what you can - 
and remember:
Train Smart Today!
Post a Comment