Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Top Five Plantar Fasciitis Remedies

Have you ever had plantar fasciitis?
I'm talking Plantar Fasciitis based on logging mile after mile,
- as opposed to bone spurs, or flat feet. 
This is an annoying problem. I had this pain once before - one summer, about two years ago. Classic symptoms: pain in heel, especially in the morning, and problems running uphill (I know weird, right, since it's your heel that hurts?).
So I'm busy trying to get rid of this pain. 
Ech!
Thought I'd share my top five go to Plantar Fasciitis Remedies, avoiding the doctor, who usually recommends some stretching, maybe a boot, cortisone shots, or if fancy, PRP.
Here are my Top Five Plantar Fasciitis Remedies:

1. Roll Baby Roll: Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a big TP Therapy fan. For the Plantar Fascia, I take my TP Therapy Grid Foam Roller and their Footballer and roll out my gastrocnemius and soleus, otherwise known as calf muscle and the muscles in that little space between calf and achilles. I do this before and after I run.
I even do it while watching TV, at night 
- if I get the time to watch TV! 
Another roll I love, is with a little green ball, called Foot Rubz. I bought this little ball from my local running store, Fleet Feet. John, one of the store owners showed it to me while fitting me for sneakers one day. It's amazing how great this little ball feels on your feet!

2. Ice: I keep a water bottle in my freezer. I filled the bottle about 3/4 with water, (ice expands when it freezes), and when I get home from a run, I roll out my feet. If they're really sore, like after a long run, I'll soak my feet in an ice bath.

3. Stretch: The classic achilles runner stretch is a must!

I don't like to stretch before I warm up my muscles for at least 10 minutes, so I usually stretch out after I run, or after I do some warm up exercises, like abs with mountain climbers (love these and do all types - bringing legs in, to the side, in and across the body, you name it!).
Another good tool for stretching is the 

4. Coconut Oil and Message: After every shower, and every night before bed, I rub coconut oil into my feet. Coconut oil is a natural anti-inflammatory agent . It is also naturally anti-microbial - so hey,
Athlete's foot fungus: BEWARE! 
The massage is short and sweet, but like the ice, it helps increase blood flow, which isn't too great to this area of your foot, and why it takes so long for plantar fascia to heal (no pun intended).

5. Orthotics: There are two things I do here. First, I go to the local drug store, and pick up the Dr Scholls Orthotics specifically for Plantar Fasciitis. I just put a pair in my winter boots. The second thing I do is wear Dr Weil Orthoheels.
I swear by Orthoheels. 
When I had Plantar Fasciitis two summers ago, I lived in Orthoheel sandals. They helped massage my feet whenever and wherever I walked. Just the other day, I bought a pair of Vionic Orthoheel Sneakers. I can already feel my Plantar Fasciitis pain lessening!
That sums it up for My Top Five Plantar Fasciitis Remedies.
Hope these help you too!
Of course the best measure is always prevention, including
dynamic exercises to strengthen the calves, achilles, and toes.
This sounds like a good topic for another post!
Have you ever had Plantar Fasciitis?
What are your top Plantar Fasciitis Remedies?
Train Smart Today!
Post a Comment