Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Trying to Stay Motivated While Dogging It!

Today, was track day!
It was a grueling work out. Coach says he's getting me ready for State #26 on January 10th:
First Light Half Marathon in Mobile, Alabama. Woo-Hoot!
After a 1 1/2 mile warm-up, and 6 strides, I was ready for my workout today. I had to do five 1000 meter repeats at 7:20-7:30 minute/mile pace.
After #3, I shouted to my Coach, "You know I hate you, right?"
He shouted back, "Best compliment! Thank You!"
I really do think the man has a sadistic side!
After every 1000 meters, I had a 200 meter jog recovery. The last set, I walked across the football field. Coach said, "What's that? You were supposed to run that last 200 meters!"
"I know, but I'm wiped out! I need to do more of these."
Maybe, I'm just not normal?

Coach laughed - he actually started to look human again! "What? You told me you hated me, but you want to do more of these?"
I shouldn't have died in that last set.
I should have had it in me to push out a measly 200 meter jog. I was even dogging it through my mile cool down - and I usually do a 1 1/2 mile cool down. I gotta do more of these.
It's not like I don't stretch, strengthen, or foam roll, either. 
Get this set up after Sunday's long run: 
You name it, I got it!
It's hard to stick to a stretching and foam rolling routine when your dogging it. So, how do I stay motivated to follow through with my recovery? Here it comes, helpful hint of the month: 
Runtastic Tabata Timer App. 

With this great little timer you can set your workout time, and a short rest time between sets (aka Tabata). It's a great way to push yourself through your stretches, foam rolling, or switching between jump rope, burpees, abs, and push-ups for strength. I've gone through a few timers, but this one, I love!
Maybe I needed to set the time with some short rests 
between each quarter mile cool down and push an extra 1/2 mile?
...Neh!

How do you stay motivated when you're dogging it?
What's your favorite recovery routine?
Train Smart Today
Post a Comment