Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Training Smarter!

I've been keeping up with my training despite the snow. Yes, I cried when I saw that the snow on the track finally melted! And I cried again, when it snowed again and covered the track before my next speed session.
I simply loathe doing speed work on the street. 
But you gotta do what you gotta do to prepare for race day and I have two on the horizon:

My training was off, and I knew it. 
I had to change it up.
True confession: I was upset that I took second Overall Female Masters in Alabama - I missed out on first by 28 seconds - or something annoying like that. It's not that I thought I deserved it, it's just that I trained really hard - and to no avail. My hamstring was still sore, my left achilles wasn't improving, and I had no force production in the second half of that Alabama Half. I couldn't understand why - especially after all my training.

So, I decided to go to the local training experts: Parabolic Performance and Rehab. I mean, if their coaches helped Peyton Manning, who just won the Superbowl, maybe they could help me?

The first thing, and probably the most important thing they told me was that I have an overuse injury. But Duh, right? Heck, Dr Mike has been telling me that for years! 
You run, you run, you run - of course you're gonna have an overuse injury.
But this time it was told to me differently.

They told me that I have an overuse injury not only because of logging the miles, but because I have been training the same way for several weeks months in a row. Even though I would mix up some exercises, on certain days. I was still doing the same type of exercises - and this kept stressing the muscles in the same way. 

So they gave me a plan that rotates every three weeks. So far, I've been taught exercises - using bands or just my body weight - that I never knew existed! My ankles burn from balancing exercises - to the point I want to grit my teeth! 
So-long plantar fasciitis and achilles tendinitis!
And my hamstring - at the top, where it connects to the ischial tuberosity - where all my hammy pain lies - is getting hit by this one exercise better than any hip thrust or hip heists.
I'm Killing the Hills!
Well, okay, I'm a little over zealous on that one, but I haven't had to say to the other Sunday runners, "Go ahead up this hill. I'll catch you at the top." I've been able to hang!
Heartbreak Hill ...Here I Come!
The bottom line is, I feel stronger, so it must be working. The best so far - my daughter came home from college this past weekend and told me that my butt looks bigger ... but 'in a good way'! 
This has to be by far, 
one of the best compliments I've ever received!
Train Smart: Avoid Despair and The Infamous Wall
Train Smart Today! 
Post a Comment