Monday, August 13, 2018

Running Small

I've been runnin' ...
... just not Blogging!
Lots going on!

I have done some local 10k and 5k races since the London Marathon - I tried to get back my speed. I feel the marathons really slow me down - that and age. I think to fight the effects of age one really needs to maintain their muscle mass - which gets more difficult as we age.

Here's an update: I placed 1st in my age group at the Tom Fleming Sunset Classic. I was just running it as a tempo run to get ready for South Dakota - I had to cancel my South Dakota Half Marathon because we lost my partner's Dad to Acute Myeloid Leukemia. This is the 2nd person I lost to this horrible disease. I HATE CANCER! Lord, have mercy on my family. Running has been very therapeutic. As I always say - there's just not enough road to run out the pain of seeing your loved one's hurt.

Tom Fleming was a local hero - winning the NYC Marathon and placing 2nd in Boston back in the 70's. He was best friends with my Coach, Joel Pasternack. They loved kibitzing on the track while coaching their runners.

I felt badly last year that I didn't run this race because it was the first year they named the race after Tom. It finishes on the track where I cheered as a teenager - so once I got on that track, I took off! There was a little boy beside me, I said, "Put your head down and focus!" Then I told him, "You can breath later, let's go!" He took off, and well, of course, I tried to catch him - so much fun. From the recent stress, my Crohn's was not happy. I remember pointing out to someone to look at my intestine - it cramped up, and you could see it bulging out of my abdomen!

1st place 50-54 years old
Sunset Classic 5 miles
39:10::14
6/28/2018
I also ran the Fitzgerald Lager 5K. It was a really, really hot race - I did not place in my age group, but I did get a Top 100 finishers mug! Last time I ran this race, I ran it 2-minutes faster ....waahaaa....

Ninth place 50-54 years old
23:56:12
6/24/2018
Before the Fitzgerald Lager, I ran Race for the Cure for IBD 5K. I was a little mad after this race - they gave the woman who placed 1st in my age group both the Overall Female Winner and the 1st place age group award. Yes, I finished 2nd overall female - but there was no award for that! Grrr! So, I placed 2nd in my age group. Someone told me that I looked really strong after the race - I told them, "Thanks - not bad for fighting Crohn's for 40 years, right?"

Cure for IBD 5K
2nd place 50-54 years old
23:46:25
#runningwcrohns

Just thought I'd throw this one in. My training partner's daughter came to this track workout and snapped a picture. This is the first time anyone has ever taken a picture of our training together and we have been running and training together for  - geeze - 5, 6, 7 years? Rebecca is amazing - she kicks my ass every Wednesday while having side conversations with people she knows, and sees on the track. She never ceases to amaze me!

Brookdale Park Track
Training with Rebecca
Before the Cure for IBD 5K, I ran the 29th Annual Wayne AM Rotary 5k run. You can see, I was trying to get my speed back after the London Marathon. I placed 1st Overall Female - it was a small run.
Love these local races - so intimate!
6/20/2018
23:24:06
This pic was taken in front of Fleet Feet, Montclair, NJ. We ran to raise money for a scholarship at the local high school, while honoring Doug Williams, and Essex County runner who was tragically killed in a hit and run. It was very emotional. I probably should not have gone into the cemetery - too many family members buried there and I got a wee bit anxious.

Our small running community raised over $1,000!
What a great way to honor Doug!
May 20, 2018

My Why - Singing Show Tunes on HornBlower NYC Manhatten Cruiseship!
 Okay, off to training for the Rock Hall half marathon in Ohio, state #36!

Train Smart!
Run Fearless!
Run to Inspire!
Run for Peace!

No comments: