Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Jalapeño Half in Ft. Worth, Texas

There is only one word to describe the Jalapeño Half Marathon:
HOT!
I had to put off writing this post because I didn't want it to sound like one big complaint. Plus, I wouldn't want to tick off these guys ...
Pre-Race Photo.
I was so unsuspecting!
If I complained through the whole post, I know for sure, lots of runners from this half would have no problem commiserating with me. But, since I wanted to run in Texas to honor my dear friend, Anne, who lost her battle with brain cancer in February, I must uphold her motto: Bark Less, Wag More! So, I will end on a positive! 

First, the dark side ....
* There weren't enough Port 'o Johns, so the lines were enormous! This made me late to the start.
* About mile 2, my watch quit. I hated my Garmin and for the next 11 miles and contemplated ripping it off, and throwing it into every body of water I either ran by or over!
*  My Crohn's reared it's ugly head like nothing I have ever experienced before in a race! It felt like I was running with a charlie horse in my intestines! It still hurts :'(
* There was no water or Power Ade at mile 2, 4, 7 or 9. And it was at least 80*F with 86% humidity.
* The entire race was in the sun - in the dead, hot, heat known and feared in Texas!
* Even though my legs said, "Run Half-Crazed, Let's Gooooooo! What is your problem?" My stomach answered and said, "Shut-up and just hobble along in a doubled-up position, and squeeze that sphincter!" (Yes, my intestines talk, and everything they say is simply filthy!)
* By mile 9, I was really nauseous from the heat and sun. I started screaming at the volunteers riding in the golf carts and checking to see if anyone was suffering heat stroke. I lost it. I was yelling with spit (what little I had left) flying out, "You needed more water stations! It's crazy hot here! What were y'all thinking?"(Like my colloquialisms?)
* I ran the slowest time I have ever run in a half marathon race!
Almost there!
Keep Hobbling!
On the bright side ...
*I met lots of nice people standing on the Port 'o John line. Everyone was super friendly. Of course they were, it's Texas!
* It's lovely not to be tied to a watch when you are running in a race! (Repeat 100X ... could be believable)
* I stopped only for water, Power Ade, and the Port 'o John (@ mile 5). So, you could say that I ran, or at least hobbled, the entire race.
* There was water and Power Ade at mile 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 12!
*There was a bit of shade - it was for maybe the first 600 meters of the 1st mile, which was also the last 600 meters of the race! Woohoo!
* I didn't have any butt pain and my legs were strong - they really wanted to move!
* I got the cutest medal for finishing!
Texas Jalapeño Half 13.1 Medal
* Once I resumed composure, I was able to stand a little straighter, change (in the car, of course), and politely ask for a photo!
* I stood tall and proud in that photo, and why not ....
I took 1st place in my age group!
Train Smart Today!

7 comments:

Black Knight said...

The finishing time is not important when the weather is hot. It is more important to have another half under your belt.
Congrats for the 1st place!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Sorry it didn't go well for you. TX this time of year has to be tough, but you got another one down. Great job!

Becka said...

Sounds like a rough race. I've only raced in Texas in winter, but I've run once in a while in summer and it is miserable. Cute medal!

Momshomerun said...

Wow, that medal almost makes me want to race! It's really cute!

Brennan said...

Congrats on getting it done. Running in Texas is NO joke! The medal is amazing. And SO appropriate! What a great way to honor your friend!

Char said...

Well done on the age group first place. And that's with all the issues that you had in the race - pretty impressive.

Michelle said...

Congrats on your AG - especially with all you were dealing with!