Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Shipyard Old Port Half Marathon

State #15: Maine!
The trip to Maine was lots of fun. On Friday, we stopped off in Boston to pick up Mini-Man from his seven-day Carl Adams Wrestling Camp at Boston University. Mini's was hungry, so we took him for a bite to eat once we got settled into the hotel, The Seaport Inn.
Mini-Man @ Whiskey Priest, Boston
I was surprised at how windy and cold it was. I was hopeful that Sunday's race was going to be cooler than the Jalapeño Half. On Saturday, Girlfriend and her boyfriend met us in Boston. We tooled around town for a bit, and then headed up to Maine. On the way, we stopped at Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
Portsmouth, NH is so charming!
Of course, we stopped into the Smuttynose BrewPub.
I unlocked a badge in the Untapped App.
I'm a certified Brew Traveler!
I only had one. Maybe I should have asked Side-Kick to stop here on the way back from the race. He had the Purple Haze, and if I weren't racing, I could have enjoyed that one, too! Too bad they couldn't give it to us in a growler to go! But, they did give us some coasters! Our waitress, Corinne, was so sweet!
Make mine a Smutty!
Next stop: Maine
When we got to Maine, we checked into the hotel, and went down by the water, where the race was going to be held. I've never been to this part of Maine before. It was so beautiful.
Portland, Maine
So Beautiful!
Wow! How fortunate was I? I was going to be able to run along this beautiful coastline! It was still cool, too. I was really hopeful that I'd be running in 60*F temps in the morning.

Of course, it was lobster and pasta for dinner ...and a night full of restless sleep. I woke up constantly between 3am to 5:30am - in fear that my iPhone alarm would malfunction and not wake me up for the race! Ech!

At 5:40am, I decided to get up, and dress for the race. Side-Kick and I ventured off, first with him questioning if my straw pocketbook was the only bag I brought, and why I forgot the cool sport knapsack? I reminded him that he's such a great supporter to all my goals, that I love him dearly, and besides the straw bag really didn't clash with his Sperry's! (Thanks, for carrying my bag, baby! I love you!).

It was a bit warmer than the day before, and there were no clouds in the sky. If I were going swimming, I would have been psyched. But, I was going to run 13.1 miles! I was really nervous. I didn't want to feel like I did when I ran the Jalapeño Half! Fortunately, this race was amazingly well-run, and there were lots of water stations.

We started about 7:30-ish. They had us start according to our anticipated pace time. Even though I sulked, having to pass the 7:30'mile pace, I was happy that the race organizers started the race like this. It makes sense ...as long as everyone is honest about their pace.

When I took my place in line, everyone was talking about the hills. There was one about 2.5miles in, and then one that started about mile 5 and didn't finish until mile 6! Oh, boy, I thought ...There goes my time. With the tendinosis, and the proximal hamstring strain, I have such a hard time powering up hills. I was just going to have to do the best I could.

There were 3,000 people running this half. I found out it's the 3rd year for this race, and really gaining in popularity! To film the start, the organizers operated a remote control helicopter with a camera. I never saw anything like that, before. It was adorable!

The 1st mile it was tight, but it helped me start with good pace. It was already hot - about 70/75*F - and I knew I would be in trouble if I pushed - especially with the hills. I took it easy. I'm glad I did 'cause the friends I made at the start, weren't kidding. The first hill, was about 2.5miles in. It wasn't long, but it was really steep: We climbed 120 feet. I was gasping for air at the top.

After that hill, I held onto an 8min mile pace for the next 6 miles, but after the hill at mile 5 that climbed 92 feet up to mile 6, I lost speed, and sunk into an 8:30'/mile pace. One thing I didn't expect was the sandy road that circled around Back Cove.
Shipyard Old Port Course
I'm not used to running on anything, but blacktop - anything else, makes me run very cautiously - I don't want to turn my ankle, and I don't see that changes on the road (too many eye operations - I can't see the little divots). By mile 8, I had enough of the sandy road. I felt like I was dragging. I don't usually eat Gu on my training runs - but I stuck one in my shorts for this race. I ate it slowly, through to mile 9. I read that you should eat them slowly so to not upset your stomach - and I didn't want to repeat being as sick as I was in Texas! I think that eating the Gu slowly really helped. I started doing some Fartleks to pick up my pace, and finished mile 13 with a 8.14'/mile pace!

This was my second slowest half marathon, 
but I still managed to pull off 3rd for my age group. 
The prize: A Buoy!
I wanted one of those buoys, so bad,
you have no idea!
If you get a chance to run this half, I recommend it. Except for the woman who asked if I wanted a bath, and then threw a pitcher of water at me (almost soaking my Garmin) at the mile 9 water stop, the race, race organizers, townspeople, and After Party were wonderful! At the end of the race, there was a tent with water misters, people offering massages, a live band, pizza and the best frozen Greek yogurt: Yasso -six grams of protein, probiotics, and low fat! It was delicious! Of course, there was that 'ole Shipyard beer...
My Recovery Drink:
 Shipyard Summer Ale!
Shhh, don't tell, anyone!
I got a great running shirt, water bottle, and an adorable medal! 

I also met some great folks at the after party, one of whom works for Yasso! So yummy!
...and, thanks to the Shipyard Summer Ale, 
I unlocked another badge!
Summer Fun!
It was a great day,
and a great half!
Train Smart Today!

Post a Comment